Remote Humanities

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/03/20/coronavirus-college-pass-fail/

Colleagues at ours and other institutions are questioning the humanity of grading during a pandemic situation in a remote learning environment that is new for all of us, and some have suggested giving everyone As, or asked if pass/fail might be an option. Pass/Fail is not an option for students who are taking the course in fulfillment of a requirement, which means that for most students taking a Hum Core course in Spring quarter, it will not be an option.

The article above also reflects a situation different from our own, in which students and faculty were forced to switch, mid-semester, to a new format. We at least have a couple of weeks to prepare, and student have a couple of weeks to settle into their homes/emergency dorms/ apartments for Spring quarter. This is difficult, obviously, but the preparation time does make a difference.

What to do? Meaningful assessment is central to students’ learning, but assessment need not necessarily be linked to a letter grade. One could, for example, decide to grade leniently, or not grade an assignment at all, but still give substantive feedback. The feedback would let students know where they have met the goals of the assignment, and where and how they can further improve their skills.

The approach I plan to take is more rigorous, in form, than giving everyone an A, but in effect it might have the same result. I use the grading function on Canvas and cannot imagine doing without it. It saves me literally hours at the end of each quarter by calculating students’ grades for me. My intention is to build into my grade distribution a 10-point emergency bonus that all students receive. I plan to grade all other assignments as strictly as I normally would, in alignment with clear grading rubrics that I communicate in the syllabus and post along with writing assignments.  This 10 point bonus  – listed on Canvas as 1 assignment for which they automatically receive a 10/10 – should be enough to help them relax about their grades, when they have so many other things to worry about, and focus the energy they have to offer my course on learning, rather than anxiety over grading.

How do others plan to handle grading?