Remote Humanities

Could we perhaps talk a bit about privacy and data security issues while using online resources? [I have bolded some key expressions here to allow for quick skimming rather than reading the entire post.] There is (a) the issue that providers like zoom can (and probably generally do) record everything we do with their services. This is for me personally more of a philosophical problem and not something we can easily change or address. Also, given that many humanities classes perhaps do not discuss particularly contentious issues or trade secrets, perhaps this can be neglected. The more serious issue (b) is something that my students have expressed concern over, which is the question of the classroom as a space where it is safe to express your opinion freely. My students are concerned that recordings of our class session – if indeed we want to produce those – can be freely and widely distributed with a simple mouse click, and might thus be used improperly. Even if we agree not to use the recording function in zoom, there is simple software that allows every participant to record their screen and to produce a video or audio recording that way. I’m really not sure how to address this so that students (and instructors) can be reassured, but I think minimally we might have some strong legal disclaimer language visible in our syllabi (and/or elsewhere?) that explicitly forbids sharing recordings of any kind with anyone outside that particular class. I’d love to hear what everyone thinks about this!?